Thursday 13 April 2017

Why did you choose your career?

As a child, you really never have to take big decisions, you can dream about what you want to be when you're all grown up, in my case, I wanted to become an entomologist, especially because I played a lot with all kind of insects like ants, woodlice, dragon-flies and others bugs in my yard. Then in high school I started to like the science and I feel in love with biology, however, chemistry and physics were equally interesting to me.

The great decision: medicine? "Man, that career is really hard, it's not for everyone, good luck if you get 850 points in PSU". Teacher of science? "Son, the pay is really low, you'll going to live to work, not work to live", it's not that I chose (or didn't chose something) just for what people said, but they made me question myself a lot, so, when I had to choose my career and university, it was a chaos, but I found a career, pharmacy, it had everything I ever expected: a lot of science, enough money to live a good life, great employment and in the university I liked the most: Universidad de Chile.

The pros: I don't regret it at all, day after day, I just feel closer to my career and I like it more and more and until now, I think I’m in a good way academically talking. Also, people I met here are really nice, they are all different and nobody have problem with that. The cons: My social life almost don't exist, God, I miss so much to get out some weekendsL, but, nothing good comes without a sacrifice.


Finally, as a pharmacist I’ll hope to work in a hospital or clinic, then teach and share my knowledge with other people… well the truth is you'll never know: you start liking bugs but at the end study chemistry!

4 comments:

  1. I'll hope that if you were studying medicine, make you heal the poor little bugs :'(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should go to Africa, the bugs are exotic and very big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also want to work in a hospital and then teach! Is true that you will never know about the future, but I hope you always do what you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about having a bugs zoo ?, well studying chemistry is very different than that.

    ReplyDelete